Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Mountain Hardwear MTN Speed 32 Degree Sleeping Bag - State Orange Regular

Bought this new bag, and have been very impressed. It stuffs down to about the size of a 1 liter water bottle, and weights in at 15.5 oz. At 32 degrees, it's toasty warm for three season camping, and with a liner, which I always use, it's almost too warm for summer use.

The zipper is a half zipper -- this reduces weight, and increases warmth, but it does mean that you cannot vent your feet.

It's about 4 inches smaller at the shoulder than some of it's competitors. This could be an issue for some larger folks, but I quickly got used it the more confined feel. This again helps to reduce weight.

The zipper has small teeth, and again, is light weight, which can make it more difficult to operate than a beefier zipper. But, again, it's a weight trade off.

In all, I love this bag. The weight is incredible, and the small size means I can keep a LOT of gear in the lower pocket of my backpack, which has historically been filled with just a sleeping bag -- and will when I use my winter bag

The bag is down, and I do not recommend down for users who are not experiences with how to stay dry -- down does not insulate when it is wet. So, if you are not confident that you can keep dry in a sustained wet weather camping/backpacking situation, down is not for you.

But, if you have good wet weather skills, and a proper tent or bivy that will keep your gear dry, this this is an amazing bag.

I give it a 9 our of 10, only because ideally I would have the ability to vent the bag at my feet, have a more robust zipper, and more shoulder width. But, this bag is an incredible ultralight solution. I would buy it again given the choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment