Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Nemo Meta 2P | Overpriced and Underrated

Every gear review I've read about the Nemo Meta 2P has been a 5-star bonzai. People are generally stoked about it's weight-to-comfort ratio and it's novel design. The only detractions I've read have been related to ventilation, which of course is a serious concern.

When I tested the tent, I was pretty underwhelmed. Rated at between 2lbs 14oz and 3lbs 5oz, the tent in reality came in at closer to 4lbs. It didn't just breathe poorly, it practically rained from the inside-out. Because the single-wall design is intended to shed weight, it tended to lose loft as more moisture accumulated on the wall. I attribute this partially to a design flaw related to the trekking-pole lofting system, but mostly to the poor guy-wiring design. Both my tent-mate and I awoke with soaked melons and feet and got wet leaving the tent as dew dropped off the nylon. If you look at how the tent tapers, you'll see that moisture can easily accumulate and pool at the bottom. Despite how roomy it looks from the outside, two people get super cozy and cramped, especially as moisture weighs down the walls.

Overall for a $400 tent, I was pretty disappointed. The trekking pole design is novel, but doesn't save weight compared to the Big Agnes UL2 which comes in at a whole 2 pounds lighter. For the price tag, I say stay with BA and wait for Nemo to fix its flaws.

No comments:

Post a Comment